Unit 6, Hill Farm Barns, Ashbocking Road, Henley,
Ipswich, IP6 0SA
As some of you may know I’ve signed up for the Dedham Mighty Hike at the end of July. That’s a 26 mile walk Sudbury to Dedham. So over the recent winter lockdown I’ve been walking lots and building up the distance. Now I did similar about 20 years ago with no training whatsoever, but here we are 20 years later and it’s a different experience.
The first Sunday after getting back to work in April I did a charity walk of 15 miles having been back on my feet on a really busy week at work fitting customers in who hadn’t been in for 4 months, so hectic, intense work.
I felt tired even before I started the walk and it didn’t go particularly well (we’d been told there was food but it was poor quality so I just ate my own snacks). It went so badly that I questioned whether the 26 miler in July was over ambitious. I ached, my feet, knees, hips and shoulders ached.
Anyway, my professional head kicked in as I had a full diary the next day and knew I had to get myself repaired in time for the next morning – here’s what I did:
· Drank loads of water – about 2 litres that night and popped a pinch of sea salt in so that it was PH balanced to absorb quickly into my stomach/small intestine lining.
· Had an Epsom Salt warm bath – about 3 handfuls.
· Ate loads of protein (I always say carbs for go, protein for grow) and grow is repair. I think I just ate steak and green veg in about 50/50 ratio.
· Kept moving – I didn’t get static for more than 30 minutes. I got up, tuned in to how I felt and stretched statically out anything that felt tight.
· I went to bed really early!! I think about 8.30/9pm. I felt really tired anyway.
The next day I woke up and….. I felt fine… and was able to complete my day. I was somewhat astounded at how well I did feel so felt the need to right this blog.
So this worked for me. This weekend I have a 19 miler Orwell Challenge Walk. I’m going to add in BCAA’s (Branch Chain Amino Acids) towards the end of the day on Sunday for a quick energy boost to get me those last few miles.
I’ll let you know how that goes via social media on Monday – Oh and I’ve booked myself a recovery sports massage in with Jordan on Monday too!